Monday, May 16, 2011

Round is a shape, right?

When you go to college, they call it the freshmen 15. When you go to culinary school, add another ten pounds. And when your father dies while in culinary school, multiply by 2. I'm not sure how much weight I've gained since I started school but it's there and I don't like it. I'm tired all the time and nothing fits but everything tastes better in butter and with a side of potatoes.

I'm not really a bad eater, though. I love vegetables, textures don't bother me and I can read nutrion labels pretty well but between work and school, bad choices are just easier. However, I have been doing some healthier cooking as of late. More vegetables, whole grains versus white flour, less potatoes, a lot less sugar and I've switched from rice to quinoa. I am hopeful that I will be able to lose all this excess weight if I take it easy on the simple carbs and maintain something resembling a workout routine.

 Grilled chicken breast with a quinoa and vegetable meddly.

chicken breasts
zucchini, thinly sliced
onions, thinly sliced
large garlic clove, minced
1-2 crimin mushroom, thinly sliced
1tbs extra virgin olive oil, canola is fine
about a 1/4 tsp of salt, pepper, paprika, and ground mustard.
1 tbsp mirin (sweet cooking sake)

Cook quinoa according to according to package directions, set aside.
Prepare chicken breasts, dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper or any other spices you'd like and grill.
 While chicken grills, toss all your ingredients except for mirin in a bowl until well combined. Sautee over medium heat. Add mirin and cover. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and and continue to cook 'till desired done-ness. Gently, combine quinoa with vegetables. Serve and enjoy!

Super easy to prepare and it's become my go to meal 2-3 times out of the week.

Now, for something not so healthy:

Flan!!! I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't like flan. Rich and delicious without being too sweet. My sister has been begging me to make one and finally got around to it. Despite its appearance, it came out perfect with little effort and limited appliances (i used a toaster oven).

3/4 c     sugar
1 tbsp   water
1.5 c     milk
4           eggs
1/2 c     condensed milk
1 tbsp   vanilla extract

 Preheat oven to 325 and prepare a water bath.
To make caramel sauce, combine 1/4 c of sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Watch it closely and when it changes color to a golden amber, remove from heat and pour into pan or ramekins and set aside.
For custard, bring milk to just before a simmer. In a bowl, combine remaining ingridients (eggs, sugar, vanilla, condensed milk). When milk is ready, remove from heat and pour 1/3 into egg mixture while whisking. Once egg mixture has been tempered, add remaining milk. Strain and pour into baking dish. 
Place baking dish in water bath and bake, approximately 30 minutes. Because i used a toaster oven, it took about 45/50 minutes for me at a slightly higher temperature. If it jiggles too much, bake a little longer. Refrigerate until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment